Maintenance tips for your MiyiHair
With maintenance for your MiyiHair, we advise treating this hair just as you would do your natural hair. It completely mimics our natural afro hair so you need to keep it moisturised as often as you can. A bottle of water mixed with natural/water based leave in conditioner works wonder on the hair. Avoid heat where you can with this hair and also wear a silk scarf at night before going to sleep. This will give the hair much more longevity.
Please follow these general tips for maintaining your MiyiHair:
1. Co-wash your MiyiHair once a week (washing with clarifying/cleansing conditioner instead of shampoo). For our own natural hair textures, we don't suggest shampooing as it is drying to the hair and will remove moisture from the hair.
2. Deep condition once a week if possible (deep conditioning is vital if the hair has been bleached or dyed)
3. Detangling with a wide tooth comb/denman brush is key to defining your MiyiHair curls and works absolute wonders when done with some conditioner and water. It really brings out the natural curl pattern of the hair.
4. Please make use of heat protectant spray when applying any heat to the hair. As with natural hair, this hair is prone to heat damage. Constant heat will ruin the natural curl pattern.
5. Allow the hair to air dry always when possible. If not, dry with low heat and cool air on when using a blowdryer/diffuser.
6. Generally, avoid combing or brushing through hair when dry as this will lead to unnecessary shedding and will ruin the natural curl pattern gradually. Only comb/brush through the hair when it's damp and after applying some conditioner.
7. After co-washing and detangling the hair, apply some leave-in conditioner and seal in the moisture application of a natural oil of your choice. This will help retain all the moisture into the hair and keep it looking healthy.
8. Avoid cutting the wefts of the hair before installing. Once the weft is cut, the hair loses grip and this causes shedding.
9. Stick to only using water-based or natural products. Avoid using too much oil/hair grease as it will weigh the hair down and remove the natural fluffiness and bounce of the hair.
10. Prior to going to bed, we recommend you braid, plait, twist or roller set your hair before wrapping it up in a silk scarf. This will help minimise any tangling/matting that tends to occur when sleeping on hair and will help keep your curls intact.
Try out some products from the following brands:
Creme of Nature, Shea Moisture, Carol's Daughter, Giovanni, Organix, and L'Oreal
Also, some natural oils and butters to use on your MiyiHair:
- Raw Shea Butter
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Virgin Coconut Oil
- Jamaican Black Castor Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Almond Oil
Our Deep Conditioning favs:
- SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque
- Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner
- Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner
- Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque
- Aussie Moist Deep 3 Minute Miracle Moisture Treatment
- DevaCurl Heaven in Hair
- Camille Rose Naturals Algae Deep Conditioner
Our Moisturising favs:
- SheaMoisture Extra Moisture Transitioning Milk
- Ouidad Moisture Lock Leave-In Conditioner
- Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioning Repair Cream
- SheaMoisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
- Eden Bodyworks All Natural Curl Defining Creme
- Oyin Handmade Hair Dew
Please remember, the key to maintaining your MiyiHair is to treat it like your natural hair and you'll absolutely love the condition of the hair. If you need more information on products and ways to use products please just contact us at email@example.com - we're always happy to help!
Still can’t find what you’re looking for?
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org