Maintenance tips for your Miyi Hair
With maintenance for your Miyi Hair, we advise treating this hair just as you would treat your natural hair as Miyi hair is created to mimics our natural afro hair textures.
Always keep your extensions moisturised to prevent it from drying which can lead to shedding. This will give the hair much more longevity.
- A bottle of water mixed with any natural/water based leave-in conditioner will work wonders on your hair extensions
- Avoid excessive amounts of heat where you can with your hair extensions
- Always wear a silk scarf at night before going to sleep when wearing your extensions.
Key tips for your Miyi Hair
1. Shampooing your bundles every other week with a hydrating/moisturising shampoo is recommended. Our personal favourite, that is tried and tested with our Miyi Hair bundles in particular is Tresemme's Moisture Rich Shampoo.
2. Follow up with conditioning right after shampooing. We recommend Tresemme's Moisture Rich Conditioner.
3. After shampooing and conditioning your extensions, apply some leave-in conditioner and seal in the moisture application of a natural oil of your choice (e.g olive oil). This will help retain all the moisture into the hair and keep it looking healthy.
4. Deep condition your bundles as often as needed and whenever your bundles are beginning to lack moisture. Deep conditioning is vital if the hair has been bleached or dyed.
5. Detangling with a wide tooth comb and/or denman-style brush is key to defining your Miyi Hair curls along with some leave-conditioner and water. It creates the most natural looking curl.
6. Please make use of heat protectant spray when applying any heat to the hair. As with natural hair, your hair extensions are prone to heat damage. Constant heat will ruin the natural curl pattern.
7. Allow the hair to air-dry always when possible. If not, dry with low heat and cool air on when using a blowdryer/diffuser.
8. Generally, try to avoid combing or brushing through your curly extensions when it's dry as this will lead to unnecessary shedding. Only comb/brush through the hair when its damp and after applying some conditioner.
9. Avoid cutting the wefts of the hair before installing. Once the weft is cut, the hair loses grip and this causes shedding.
10. Stick to only using water-based or natural products if you can. Avoid using too much oil or hair grease as it will weigh your hair extensions down and remove the natural fluffiness and bounce of the hair.
11. Prior to going to bed, we recommend you braid, plait, twist or roller set your hair before wrapping it up in a silk scarf. This will help minimise any tangling and/or matting that tends to occur when sleeping on our hair and will help keep your curls intact.
Our shampoo favourite:
Tresemme Moisture Rich Shampoo
Our conditioner favourite:
Tresemme Moisture Rich Conditioner
Our leave-in conditioner favourite:
Palmer's Leave-in Conditioner (any)
Our deep conditioning favourite:
Mielle Organics Rosemary Mint Strengthening Hair Masque
Our heat protectant favourite:
Mielle Organics Mongongo Oil Thermal & Heat Protectant Spray
Some natural oils and butters to use on your extensions after conditioning to lock in moisture:
- Raw Shea Butter (lightly applied)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Virgin Coconut Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Almond Oil
Still can’t find what you’re looking for?
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org